Monday 20 June 2016

SHORT DAY of VILLAGE HOPPING



Days ... ok...weeks....of rain and cloud can make even this Anglophile feel dreary. I don't mind walking in drizzle, mist and mud but a continual biblical deluge is a show stopper. Plans to walk the short mile to Bourton to drop off laundry, walk around and have tea have been aborted. On to Plan B, driving to Broadway and hitting the villages. No matter, Broadway is always a slice of heaven. My old stomping grounds where my love affair started in earnest.




This stage of the trip is in Lower Slaughter at the newly refurbished Manor Hotel, now called The Slaughters Manor House. I can't say its new style, "country living as interpreted for today" does it for me, too many mirrors, purple walls and chrome, but the room is comfortable, there's a warming towel bar and it's clean. 

The food isn't up to par, it will be tea shops,picnics and pubs.






View From My Room - The Stable Block

My Room is Called "June"

The Medieval Big Screen

Time? Just Look Out the Window!

Hidden Purple Garden to Check Out if the Rain Ever Stops
First priority of business is a stop in Bourton to drop off my dirty clothes at Marys Laundry. I've often washed clothes there. They're so nice and cheery in their cute shop surrounded by small washers, dryers and clothing. Walkers, vacationers, locals all converge. Dirty clothes in, clean back by lunch. 
Off to the Big Three - Broadway, Chipping Campden and Burford for shop wandering and food. 

Stuff!

What's This? Sun in Burford! 


After a busy day of pavement you have to snag the opportunity to walk when you can. The sun is still out and Lower Slaughter to Bourton is only one and a half miles. If you're going for the Lemon Drizzle Cake, the rule is you walk for it. 

Days of Rain Makes for Mud
Doesn't Get Much Better


The River Windrush, One of My Favorite Walks




No comments:

Post a Comment