Tuesday 28 June 2016

GOODBYE COTSWOLDS, HELLO HAMPSHIRE


Leaving the Cotswolds, my favorite place, one final view of the hills and fields from the window at the Hollow Bottom pub in Guiting Power. The people are so friendly there, it's a cozy beamed and low ceilinged place with good food.
The Cotswolds are laid back and welcoming.


Hollow Bottom Pub



I'd never been to Hampshire, not really. I'd been to Chawton, where Jane Austen grew up, but I hadn't spent any time there. In the interest of the trip's theme of exploring new places, the Tylney Hall Hotel in Rotherwick was the last stop. I wasn't impressed.

Do You Care at All?
Rotherwick had a melancholy, cloudy attitude of "Whatever". Though it has two pubs and a pretty church, it seems to lack character. The name Rotherwick is derived from the Saxon words "rother" meaning cattle and "wick" meaning enclosure. It does sound nicer than "I live in Cowpen" .

The hotel used to be a manor house that was torn down and rebuilt in the early 1900's in the Tudor style. It was more stuffy  post-war Grandmother. The package was dressed well but don't look under the cushions. 









Good Thing There's a Remote Control

View From Room 21
The first room they gave me was so bad I walked right back out. It had two small windows up at the top of the ceiling so you couldn't even see out. Ouch. Nope... not happening. 

So let's check out the village....

Duck Pond Without Ducks - the DucklessPond

The Church in Rotherwick dates from the 13th Century, and the tower was added in the 18th century. It has no name because it's one of the rare churches not dedicated to a patron saint. 

See? They couldn't even be bothered to  find a saint! 

Taking Potshots










In the late 1800's there was a scare that French would invade so the local militia practiced their aim by firing muskets at the wall.




The Tylneys of Tylney Hall are buried here, the last one died in 1725.
















Village Hall




Pretty Countryside



Allenmoor Lane is an ancient road used by drovers taking their cattle to the market at Reading 30 miles away. I always like the idea of these old roads and me joining their history.


Leaving My Mark



The gardens at Tylney are stupendous and I mean scale-wise. The design follows the traditional of formal Italianate, walled (now with a heated swimming pool), vegetable, rose and orchard. The water gardens were designed by Gertrude Jeykll. 



Afternoon Tea Splurge

Sometimes I feel Like I'm in a Bad Movie

No comments:

Post a Comment